Yesterday was Mother’s Day, and Kenley modeled a fancy dress for the special occasion. She wore a dress that I recently made for her. This is the first wearable garment I have ever completed, and the best part it was made entirely from remnant pieces.
I saw a few different toddler dresses on Etsy with tie straps that went through a slit in the back of the bodice to allow for adjustable shoulder straps and a cute bow in the back. I thought this was an ingenious idea, and wondered if I could do it myself. So, I set off to make some pattern pieces. The pieces were based loosely off of a McCall’s pattern with slight modifications.
Cutting, pinning, and sewing commenced. The only stumble came with attaching the skirt to the bodice. I knew I wanted a gathered skirt to create volume, but I didn’t know the best way to go about this. Trial and error tactics ensued, and the mission was finally accomplished. Now I have experience under my belt and perhaps next time my pleats will turn out a little more uniform.
As it turns out, Kenley didn’t seem to mind. She can be such a little Hambone sometimes.
Hope Mother’s Day was enjoyed by all!